19|1: Erin Trost, Senior Business Analyst
19 questions in 1 minute is our blog series in which we interview Impexium staff members. This week's guest is Erin Trost, Senior Business Analyst.
- What is your role at Impexium? Why did you decide to join the team? I help to provide and configure client and software solutions for current clients; I work closely with clients in Implementation, Support, or those contacting Client Success. Prior to Impexium, I was working with another AMS that was no longer receiving much attention in the way of development when I was presented with the option to work at Impexium. I was excited at the idea of working with a growing and innovative product.
- What have you learned so far about the association industry in your new role?/ What are you working on right now and how does that impact our customers? No two clients are the same. While most Associations have membership, event registration, certification programs, etc. No two clients have the exact same needs. Listening to the client, learning their business, and making the system work for their needs has become a specialty of mine because of coming to Impexium. Currently I am working on new ways to configure Impexium to meet specific client needs. This can include baseline configuration, working with third-party vendors and integrations, and defining new development with the R&D team. I am always looking at ways to push the boundaries of our functionality.
- What did you do prior to joining Impexium? What was the most valuable thing you learned and how does it help you today? I worked for a competitor of Impexium specializing in SaaS product implementations. I learned that clients just want to be heard and understood. There are always limitations to what a client can do in a SaaS product but if the client feels valued and listened to, they will work with you to define clear and workable solutions.
- Who inspires you? At work I am inspired by clients that are excited to learn the product and master their business practices inside of Impexium. In life I am inspired by those who don’t take themselves too seriously.
- What’s the last book you read? Why did you choose it? What did you like or learn from it? I wish I could say the last book I read was inspirational or aspirational but I read to escape my real life typically. The last book I read was “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens. I chose it because I have FOMO (fear of missing out) when I hear about popular books. I can’t tell you what I learned from the book because it would give away the ending.
- What are you currently watching on Netflix or Amazon Prime? What do you enjoy about it? “Unbelievable” on Netflix. It’s based on a true story and I am a sucker for anything true crime related.
- What three traits define you? 1. I’m a fixer – if there is a problem I absolutely want to solve it. I often look at situations as puzzles or games and I have to figure it out for my own sanity. 2. Work ethic – I didn’t always have this in my youth and now I might be over-compensating, but when I have responsibilities, I show up and they get handled one way or another. 3. Team player – I am all about the success of the team, not necessarily the individual. I will do whatever it takes to make those who work with me successful – shared glory is way better than individual glory.
- If you could visit anywhere in the world you’ve never been, where would you go? New Zealand – I’ve never been and I really want to go. My spot used to be Iceland but I’ll be going there in early 2020.
- Who did you first see live in concert? Who was the last live concert you attended? Willie Nelson when I was two years old. Brandi Carlile and Lucius this summer.
- What was your favorite TV show growing up? Buffy the Vampire Slayer (come at me, I dare you!)
- What’s your favorite indoor/outdoor activity? Sitting by a campfire on top of a mountain
- What would you most like to tell yourself at age 13? Don’t take yourself so seriously!
- If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? Dance. I can’t dance. If you’re old enough, think Elaine from Seinfeld.
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be? The power to eat whatever I want, whenever I want and never have it effect my health in a negative way.
- If you could go back in time to any era, which era would it be and why? I mean, the 80s right?! Is there any other time in history when excess and terrible style ruled the world?!
- In the Impexium kitchen, what is your go-to snack? Peanut butter M&Ms – whoever started ordering those is my personal hero.
- How do you define success? Enjoying what you do with your time and those you choose to have around you.
- Ten years ago, who did you think you would be now? Honestly, I have no idea. I’ve never been one to imagine where I’ll be in the future. I’m more a next, immediate step kind of girl.
- What is your favorite thing about working at Impexium? Finding successful solutions for dedicated clients. I love solving problems and fixing other’s issues. It’s what I’m good at and Impexium allows me to utilize theses skills every minute of everyday.